Tuesday, November 9, 2010

6 things I want you to know about diabetes...

I'm following the crowd today on D-blog day!!! I am posting 6 things that I want you to know about diabetes...

1. When I have a low blood sugar, its not fun, I feel light-headed, dizzy, sweaty, shaky, and sometimes out of it. Never ever will I have an 'episode' like Julia Roberts in Steel Magnolias. I'm sorry that is the only thing you can base a low blood sugar on. Its not like that.

2.I don't make insulin. I never will. Losing weight, exercising, drinking whatever drink you have that 'cured' your great uncle won't make me produce insulin.

3. My pump does not automatically adjust to my blood sugar. It is just an eaiser, more effective way to deliver insulin!!!

4. I can eat anything that I want. I know its hard for some to understand... but I take insulin for the amount of carbohydrates in the food, so I can eat whatever. If you are offering everyone candy or whatever, offer me a piece. I most likely won't take it, but that is because I'm on a WEIGHT LOSS diet not a DIABETES diet. :)

5. don't feel bad for me. If you do, I may end up thinking about it really hard and feel bad for myself. Which I don't!! I am a happy healthy person!!(with diabetes)

6. Nope it doesn't really hurt to prick my finger anymore... I don't really even feel it!!! Well... that is unless I haven't changed the lancet in awhile... Which I should probably do.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes you should PROBABLY change your lancet goofball! i like what you said about food:) love Katherine

Michael Hoskins said...

I have had the Steel Magnolias episode. It's not pleasant.

ninnifur said...

@Michael- UGh. That sucks. I think the part that bothers me about that movie, is that they act like its every single low is like that. :( sorry you have experienced that!